Monday, July 19, 2010

Lubeck and Travemunde

Two weekends ago I went and to Lubeck and Travemunde.  Wow! Just wow! Lubeck is a hanseatic city of Northern Germany which Luneburg shipped salt to.  The salt was then sent from there through the Baltic Sea to around the world.  Lubeck is absolutely beautiful and was a great experience.  We took a walking tour which was interesting because the woman who gave the tour didn't know much English and walked very slow.  But we saw very many cool things like the churches of the town and the music school.  The music school had very neat architecture and was spread out over several buildings.  They also had a neat piece of music that I found very hilarious posted to the bulletin board.


I know my brother personally would not like this song! Haha!

After the music school we headed to the hospital which was surprisingly very pretty.  The entrance seemed like a church but when you walked in further you could see the tiny rooms that people could rent out as apartments.  People who got to stay here were privileged lower class citizens and they had to live by the house rules.  Next, we moved on to the town hall building and then to my favorite stop... Niedregger! Oh my lord the birthplace of marzipan! There were so many different sizes and shapes of marzipan that my head was spinning! It all looked so beautiful and too artistic to eat.  I made sure to buy enough for the people I love back home and I know they will be giddy when they see what I brought them back!

Then we moved onto Travemunde.... oh my goodness! The beach was absolutely magnificent! It seemed like a picture from a postcard.


The wicker basket huts were so gorgeous that I pitched in with another girl from the group and we rented one for the time we were there.  It was so nice to be at a beautiful beach with the sun shining and not a cloud in the sky and be in the shade yet still be in on the action.  I wish the U.S. had these huts! They are amazing!

Seeing other cities is an awesome experience while here! I am learning to take in all the history of every city that I can.  Each place is a new and exciting adventure that gets better than the last!

1 comment: